The most notable bars for the gay subculture were the Parkside Tavern and the St.
Charles Tavern on Yonge Street (one block west of Church) just south of Wellesley. Charles in particular was the focus of many attacks by homophobes, especially on Halloween when the tavern held an annual drag contest that had been proceeded by an outdoor promenade until attacks by homophobes hurling eggs and rotten fruit made that impossible.
Nicholas Street, a laneway running behind the west side of Yonge, and St.
Joseph Street, one block north of Wellesley running west off Yonge.
or the Gay Village — however, many of these "nicknames" are generic to gay villages across the English speaking world, and are therefore not descriptive of Church and Wellesley specifically, but of gay villages in general.
Most people refer to it simply as Church Street or the Village, since most of the gay-related establishments in the area are located on that street.
Folsom Fair North, which changed its name to FFN in 2006, was last held in 2007.
The portion of the neighbourhood bounded by Yonge, Jarvis, Maitland and Carlton Streets was once the estate of Alexander Wood, a merchant and magistrate in Upper Canada who was at the centre of a strange, supposedly sexually related scandal in 1810.
There were also a number of gay-oriented businesses and clubs on the side streets running west off of Yonge street around Wellesley, in particular St.
"The 519", as it is most often called, is a city-run recreation centre that has been adopted locally as the queer community centre, though its programming is not exclusive to LGBT groups and organizations.
In 2007, a new wing was opened, and upgrades to the existing spaces were completed in 2009.
Allan Gardens, just east of Church Street on Carlton, was a well-known cruising area for gay men.
From the late 1960s through the early 1980s the focus of Toronto's gay subculture was the Yonge and Wellesley area.